Do you have an unusual or unappreciated talent? I want to hear about it!
Memorable fictional characters have a goal, a flaw, and a unique personality. As I type away at the latest novel rewrite, I’m studying the wonderful things that set each crazy character apart from the rest. But I’m stuck.
I decided I could infuse more life into my characters by uncovering their unusual talents, so I got out a piece of paper and listed my own for inspiration. Here’s what I came up with:
1) Balloon animals. Not just the easy ones like a snake or a sword, either–I can twist balloons into a dog, a giraffe, and even an elephant.
2) Stick figures. I’m actually appreciated in (very) small circles for my stick figure drawing. A particularly well received piece was even selected as the logo for my ski team a few years ago (by ski team I’m referring to the friends I eat potato chips and gab with at the lake, but some of us do water-ski now and then).
3) I keep a tidy closet. Um, yeah. It’s a talent. I’m sure of it.
After reviewing my sorry little list, I set it aside on the kitchen counter and blew out a big breath. I wasn’t any closer to what I needed. This morning I picked up my paper again, only to find that my husband had added a few items:
4) Color coordination
5) Ability to sleep immediately after a mocha
6) Dog patience
7) Bargain clothing hunter (aka finding Nordstrom at Target)
Although I appreciate his help, I’m still not feeling inspired. So, I’m asking for your help. Tell me about YOUR special talents. I want to hear about the odd, the fabulous, or the unappreciated little quirks that you bring to the world. What do you have to offer than no one else does?